Delaware State News
DAGSBORO — The Delaware Botanic Gardens at Pepper Creek will hold free craft classes for children 6-16 from 10-11 a.m. Fridays in July.
The sessions are run by the director of educational programs and trained volunteer teachers. Registration is required at delawaregardens.org/events.
Admission to the gardens is free for children 16 and younger when accompanied by an adult. Adult members also receive free entry, while nonmembers pay $15.
The kids’ class schedule is as follows:
- Friday — “Who’s Hiding in the Garden?” Explore the topics of camouflage and protective coloration of small creatures. Then, design a creature using squares of tissue paper and stencils.
- July 14 — “Why Are Flowers So Colorful?” Take a walk through the meadow to study the shapes and colors of flowers. The craft will be to paint a bloom on a small pot and plant a flower in it.
- July 21 — “How Do They Recycle Paper?” Create a sheet of recycled paper with embellishments.
- July 28 — “The Art of the Flower.” Walk through the new pollinator pathway. Then, choose one flower to cut and put in a small vase, and paint a picture of it.
Other July activities:
- July 13 at 11:30 a.m. — “Bugs & Bogs” class. Explore the hidden world of aquatic bugs, tadpoles and insects in the Learning Garden by the freshwater vernal pool. The cost is $10 for members and nonmembers.
- July 20 and 27 at 9 a.m. — “Butterflies & Blooms” class. Learn about butterflies in the garden, including monarchs, swallowtails, fritillaries, sulfurs, skippers and hairstreaks. Also, find out about the role of nectar, host plants and the life cycle of butterflies. The course will be taught by naturalist Margaret Kimmel and continue every Thursday in August.
- July 22 at 11:30 a.m. — “Summer Meadow Blooms & Pollinators” tour with Stephen Pryce Lea, director of horticulture and educational programs. Enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the 2-acre Piet Oudolf Meadow, with 70,000 perennial plants and grasses.
The Delaware Botanic Gardens, at 30220 Piney Neck Road, are open to the public Thursdays through Sundays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- These under $30 gardening tools are perfect for your dad with a green thumb
- I’m a gardening expert and here's why you SHOULDN’T buy cheap tools - they’re only good for posing for selfies
- Dior Launches Gardening Set Complete With Stool, Spade, Rake
- At Swords to Plowshares in Guilford, guns to become garden tools
- Dior launches gardening set complete with a Dior Saddle-inspired stool